Do you know the category under which your YouTube videos fall? If not, then let us choose the appropriate category for your videos and also see how to change the YouTube channel category and YouTube video category in just a few simple steps.
Classifying videos into specific categories is the feature that has been on YouTube since its beginning. It was more useful initially as at that time no such complex and sophisticated algorithm existed to sort the videos. But now with regularly evolving algorithms, there are many ways YouTube classifies your videos.
Keep in mind that classifying the videos into the right category is still important, therefore, you should place your videos and the channel in the right video category,
The good news is that we will teach you the method of changing the category of your YouTube channel and YouTube videos on both desktop and mobile phones. Both of the methods differ but are still intuitive.
So let’s start with changing YouTube categories on the Desktop.
How to Change Category for Youtube Channel on Desktop?
Changing the Channel category is changing the default settings which means that each time you upload a video, it will automatically be added under that selected category.
Follow the steps below to see how we can change the YouTube Channel category:
- Sign in to your YouTube account.
- Click on your profile icon displayed at the top-right corner of the YouTube page. It’s either a profile picture for your account in a circle or just your initial within a coloured circle.
- This will open up the profile menu. Click on the third option labelled as “YouTube Studio”.
- This will open up the Studio dashboard with a sidebar menu to the left of the screen to access various parts of your account. From there, click on “Settings”.
- Then go for “Upload Defaults” and then select “Advanced Settings”.
- Amongst many other options, you will see the category option to the top right. Click on it to open the drop-down list of categories.
- Here you have 15 categories to choose from which include Sports, Pets and Animals, Gaming, entertainment, news and politics, Travel and events, music, etc. Select any one of them.
- Then click “Save”.
This way you just simply changed your YouTube Channel category on Dekstop.
This will change the default settings. But what if you just what to change the category of a single video or any of the existing videos to a new category. So let’s see how can we do that.
How to change the Category for YouTube videos on Desktop?
Follow these steps to change the category of videos on YouTube:
- Sign in to the creator account on Youtube.
- After clicking on your profile icon on the top-right corner, click on the third option from the profile menu, that is, “YouTube Studio”,
- This opens up the Studio dashboard to the left. from there click on “Content”.
- This displays all of your uploaded videos. Now select the videos. If you want to select some videos then check the box beside each one of them.
- But if you want to select all of the videos then click on the check box beside “videos” to select all. Click it again to unselect all if needed.
- Click the drop-down icon on the “Edit” button.
- From the drop-down list, select Category.
- A new edit box will appear above the videos. From the category drop-down, select your preferred category from the 15 given category options.
- After selecting the category click on “Update videos” to finally get done with the video category changing process.
With this, we come to the end of changing the video and channel category on Desktop,
Now let’s go through the process of changing the video category on mobile phones.
How to Change YouTube video category on Mobile Phone (iPhone or Andriod):
Following are the steps to change video category on a smartphone ( iPhone or Android ):
- Install the YouTube Studio App. You will find it on both the Apple store and Google Play store.
- Click on the blue “Sign in” button to log in to your account.
- This will open up the dashboard that contains numerous sections showing subscriber count, channel analytics, comments, recent uploads, and known YouTube issues.
- Click the menu icon at the top-left of the dashboard.
- Click on “Videos”
- This will open up a new page that displays all of your uploaded videos.
- Click any video of which you want to change the category.
- Now click on the Pencil icon on the top.
- Switch to the tab that says “Advanced Settings”.
- The very first option is of category. From here, you can choose whichever category you want to list your video in from the stated 15 categories.
- Click Save at the top right corner.
Now the YouTube videos can be classified into specific categories on mobile as well.
What is the Importance of YouTube Categories for Creators?
Often YouTubers mistakenly place their content in the wrong category which makes it more hectic to shift it into the right one afterwards. So its much better to do it from the beginning,
Placing the videos in the wrong category neither has any major downside nor imposes any penalty.
But if your videos are monetized then it matters for you so make sure to place the videos in the right category. Even if currently your channel is not monetized it’s still a good practice to place the videos in the right category as maybe later it gets monetized or maybe sometime later algorithm changes in such a manner making it more essential, well you will always have an upside.
So the advertisers will search for the right videos to place their adverts and if your videos are in the right category there is a high chance you get an advert related to your content which eventually earns you more money.
Sometimes if you are not getting enough views as expected trying changing the category of your videos and then see the effect.
Well here’s a tip for you. Trying to be consistent when it comes to video categories. Let’s say you make videos on fashion and style so your videos are ranking in this particular category building separate viewers and subscribers base who are interested in that content.
It informs YouTube that you make the content of a particular niche so it brings more people interested in such content.
But then if you make a video on let’s say football, it would be damaging to your channel as the audience that watches your channel for the former category won’t be interested in this latter one, leading to awful analytics of your video. Therefore, don’t jump between different categories.
If you are a YouTuber, you surely want to rank your videos as quickly as possible. So to have more views, watch time, and subscribers, you have to adopt certain strategies.
So what is the best strategy?
One of the best strategies for a successful YouTube career is to join hands with the best YouTube management tool TubeBuddy that help increase your ranking and your channel’s authority with its numerous impressive and much-needed features. You can read more about TubeBuddy from here.
With the help of all these details, you can now easily change the YouTube video/channel category. If you have any questions related to this guide, feel free to ask us in the comments below. Let us know if you want us to guide you on any other topic.